The Department of Justice is running a campaign to help Victorian secondary school students protect themselves online. It’s important that everyone in the school community take steps to protect themselves from serious online crimes such as cyberbullying and identity theft.
Some steps students, parents and teachers can take to stay safe online include:
– Create strong passwords and change them regularly.
– Use an anti-virus program and turn on automatic updates.
– If you don’t know who sent the email, delete it.
– Think before you act online. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
– Your personal information is valuable – protect it.
– Don’t respond to a cyberbully if you’re being bullied online. Block the person from contacting you online and report the incident to authorities if the cyberbullying continues.
More information about the campaign can be found at http://www.justice.vic.gov.au/ProtectYourselfOnline and our school’s policies and advice on social media can be found on the school’s website.
Mr Young, Cyber Security