German Exchange Program

Ten very enthusiastic students from Gleneagles and Fountain Gate Secondary Colleges participated in the German Exchange program for a month from early September to early October. This experience was by far the most memorable in my life. It extended our speaking skills as we listened to German all day every day whilst trying to communicate with our host families successfully. We had the opportunity to experience the day-to-day school life of a student in Germany and soon discovered that it was very different to school in Australia. Three fantastic excursions had been organised for us which we were grateful for. These included seeing the beautiful Heidelberg (the most scenic view I have witnessed) a castle in Freudenberg (in which our German host partners accompanied us) and Hessen Park (Hessen is the State we stayed in) Saalburg (where we learnt about the ancient Romans). The highlight of the trip for me was the four days that we spent in the country’s capital – Berlin!

Visiting the remains of the Berlin Wall, Checkpoint Charlie, the Brandenburg Gate, Madame Tussauds and Sanssouci’s Palace were among many places we visited during our stay. As the exchange came to an end we said an emotional farewell to our host families and departed the gorgeous country that Germany is.

We arrived home in Melbourne late, last Sunday night 6th October, after a 20 hour flight feeling a mixture of exhaustion and excitement. I know, that I am still talking about this trip and will be for years to come! I made a lot of great friends along the way. In addition, thank you Frau Rajamaki and Frau Carey (from Fountain Gate) for being such supportive and helpful leaders. The trip would not have been possible without your endless hours of effort!

By Mikayla Newton, 10E

German 1German 2

Translate »