Simulator Babies, Year 9 Students

For the Elective Healthy Bodies, Healthy Habits we all get to take home real care simulator babies for a whole weekend, from Friday night until Monday morning. On Friday 19th February 2016, I got to take home Baby Carlos. I had to care for Carlos when he cried and try to determine what care he needed. Carlos would cry if he needed to be fed, burped, change of nappy or rocked. He would wake up in the middle of the night and would also cry a lot during the day. To make it even harder we always had to support his neck. If we didn’t, Carlos cried until I rocked him, calming him down. Overall, I enjoyed the whole experience and gave it a 9.5/10. I loved having to feed, burp and change baby Carlos. Although it was challenging at times, I had a lot of fun and would do it again.

Written by Tylah Cooper-Stevens, Year 9

On Friday 19th February 2016, I took baby Sarah home. I was very excited and was looking forward to what the weekend had to bring. Little baby Sarah turned on at 4.00pm. She started making breathing noises which meant she was sleeping. It got to about 5.15pm and she hadn’t done anything, so said “do something” and then she started crying. I registered my ID bracelet and changed her nappy. She stopped crying for about 2 minutes, then she cried again and wanted to be fed. Then she went back to sleep. Sarah stayed asleep until 3.40am until she woke me up wanting to be fed and have her nappy changed.

On Saturday 20th February 2016, she woke up at 7.30am and again wanted to be changed and fed. We took her out for dinner and she was very good and only cried twice. She woke up twice that night as well, once at 1.30am and 5.40am. She was a good girl on Sunday, she didn’t cry that much, until night time. She didn’t go to sleep until 10.30pm and woke me up around 1.20am. I was very tired after two nights of interrupted sleep.

Overall, this was a very good learning experience and I learnt not to have babies early because you get sleep deprived and they are very annoying and interfere with my weekend sport and dinner Saturday night. I’d rate it a 9/10 because it’s a great learning experience, but I would never look after it again as it was difficult with my weekend plans and sporting commitments.

Written by Teagan Barry, Year 9

Pictured: Tylah and Teagan

Simulator Babies Yr 9V1

Translate »