2016 TCS Asia Pacific Summit, Sydney

2016 TCS ASIA PACIFIC SUMMIT AND TECHNOLOGY LEADERS OF THE FUTURE FORUM

Article by Canis Nugroho 10E, College Sports Captain

Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) is one of the leading global IT companies with 22 offices in 12 countries and the mastermind behind technological innovations of major companies such as Woolworths and Qantas. Every year TCS open their door to Year 10 students in Victoria and NSW to join their GO4IT Program. This program is aimed to raise awareness of the various IT professions among female students. Earlier this year I applied to this program to undertake my Year 10 Work Experience, and was accepted for the June intake.

Following up after the program, all GO4IT alumni were invited to apply to participate in the 2016 TCS Asia Pacific Summit and Technology Leaders of the Future Forum in Sydney on 25th  October 2016. We had to write a short essay on why we deserved to be selected to attend the summit and what we would do post the summit to make the most of the opportunity. Four students from Victoria, including myself, were selected and flown to Sydney to join six other students from NSW to participate in the summit.

The summit brought together CEOs and Business Leaders from the Asia Pacific region to share thought-provoking concepts and insights surrounding the race to become smarter, faster and lighter enterprises. Some of the speakers include NSW Minister Senator Concetta Fierravanti-Wells, CSIRO Chairman David Thodey, chiefs of technology from Qantas, Standard Chartered, Woodside, AGL and Bank of Tokyo Mitsubishi.

The atmosphere of the Summit had certainly surpassed my expectations. It was not just a gathering of current and future leaders of technology. It was a “Celebration of Technology” across the Asia-Pacific region. One by one, CEOs and leaders of companies shared their success stories, from UNSW Astronomy to Telstra’s partnership with Tata in creating the first silicon base quantum computing unit.  We also listened to a speech by Alex Tapscott, author of “Blockchain Revolution”.

In the afternoon I participated in the Future Leaders Forum, where a panel of Senior TCS Managers and the CEO of Woolworths discussed their future projections of the evolving world of Technology. I questioned them about the future of education and explained my desire to promote IT in women. I expressed my sadness about misinterpretation of the expanding field of IT as a ‘computer only’ occupation. Speaking in front of over 100 leaders of various companies, I was trembling inside. But my curiosity for their input didn’t stop me. In the end, they all applauded me for my motivation and encouraged me to “be the change [I] would like to see in the world.”

The door to this opportunity would have never opened if I never opened the very first door – applying for the GO4IT Work Experience Program. Year 10 Work Experience week is a great opportunity to get an insight of what is available in the future, and allow us to explore our interests further.  In my case, it confirmed my fascination in science and technology. Start early, put in a little bit of extra effort in your application, and don’t let location restrict your options. You never know what is in store at the end of the work experience!

“Every time you open a door, you will learn something new and meet the brightest people, perhaps some that believe in you more than anyone else. So don’t be afraid to open a door when you see one!”

Picture 1: Mr Girish Ramachandran,  President of Tata Consultancy Services, Asia Pacific;  Canis Nugroho, Year 10E 

Picture 2: Mr Alex Tapscott, Canis Nugroho and other participating students 

go4it-summitgoforitsummit-2

Translate »