Council Elections


Councillors are elected for a two year term. Each year, the Principal will issue a notice of election and call for nominations.  Click for the Council election notification 2018_19.   This year, two parent representative positions and three DET employee representative position fall vacant.  Listed below is information to address questions parents may have about what is involved in being on Council. Interested parents may also like to contact the Principal, Sue Peddlesden to discuss the opportunity.

Nominations are now open and close on 23rd February 2018. Nomination forms are attached to the newsletter post on Compass and are also available on the College website or can be collected from the office. Nominations will be assessed and if an election is required, the ballot will be held between 2nd and 9th March 2018.

Elected Councillors would commence their duties at the next Council meeting held on 19th March 2018. Council meets a minimum of eight times per year and currently meetings are held at 7.00pm on a Monday night.  Being on Council is a great opportunity to contribute to development of the College and its policies.

The current scheduled of meetings for the rest of 2018 are 14/5, 18/6, 20/8, 17/9, 22/10, 26/11/18.

The Principal arranges and conducts the election according to the election process.


College Council Nomination Forms:

Parents:    Self nomination Form for Parent Member Category  or  Nomination Form for Parent Member Category

Employees:     Self Nomination for DET Employee or  Nomination form for DET Employee


To access the 2016/17 College Council Board Members  click here


What is a School Council and what does it do?
All government schools in Victoria have a School Council. They are legally constituted bodies that are given powers to set the key directions of a school within state wide guidelines. In doing this, a School Council is able to directly influence the quality of education that the school provides for its students.

Who is on the Gleneagles School Council?
• A mandated elected Parent category – five members of our Council are parents of students currently enrolled at the school.

• A mandated elected DET employee category – the Principal of the school is automatically one of these members and there are four members in total on Council.

• Community member category – members are coopted by a decision of the Council because of their special skills, interests or experiences. DET employees are not eligible to be Community members. GSC Council has three co-opted members.

Generally, the term of office for all members is two years. The term of office of half the members expires each year, creating vacancies for the annual School Council elections. In the election at the end of February we will be calling for nominations for three parent and one DET representatives. Current members of Council may be eligible to re-nominate.

Why is Parent Membership so Important?
Parents on School Councils provide important viewpoints and have valuable skills that can help shape the direction of the school. Those parents who become active on a School Council find their involvement satisfying in itself and may also find that their children feel a greater sense of belonging.

How can you become involved?
The most obvious way is to vote in the elections, which are held in Term 1 each year. However, ballots are only held if more people nominate as candidates than there are positions vacant. In view of this, you might seriously consider: –

– standing for election as a member of the School Council

– encouraging another person to stand for election.

What do you need to do to stand for election?
The Principal will issue a Notice of Election and Call for Nominations. If you decide to stand for election, you can arrange for someone to nominate you as a candidate or you can nominate yourself in the Parent category. DET employees whose child is enrolled in a school in which they are not employed are eligible to nominate as parents for the School Council at that school.

Once the nomination form is completed, return it to the Principal within the time stated on the Notice of Election. You will receive a Nomination Form Receipt in the mail following the receipt of your completed nomination. Generally, if there are more nominations received than there are vacancies on Council, a ballot will be conducted during the two weeks after the call for nominations has closed.

Do I need special experience to be on School Council?
No. What you do need is an interest in your child’s school
and the desire to work in partnership with others to help shape the school’s future.

• Ask at the school for help if you would like to stand for election and are not sure what to do.
• Consider standing for election to Council this year.
• Be sure to vote in the elections.

Contact the Principal for further information.


Translate »